What about if I am not a staff member, i.e., if I am a service provider or consultant?

Then you are not a staff member and therefore not a member of the Union. But rest assured that, in case you need the help of the Union for issues related to the performance of your duties, such as abuse of authority by your supervisors, and fulfillment of your contract, a staff representative will provide you with the appropriate support.